I installed Oracle 10.2.0.3 Client on an HP-UX 11.11 server. Logged in as the Oracle software owner (e.g. oracle Unix account), I can access all the usual Oracle utilities such as SQL*Plus. However, one of our developers was getting the error below when invoking SQL*Plus.
ksh: sqlplus: not found
Their Unix account does not belong to the Unix dba group, which explains why I don’t see the problem when I login to my Unix account which is a member of the dba group.
In Metalink I had a bookmark to Note 335063.1. The note references Bug 4516865 for which there is a patch. I tried to install the patch which essentially replaces $ORACLE_HOME/install/changePerm.sh with an updated version. The file in the patch is for 10.2.0.1, but I am running 10.2.0.3 so the patch apply fails.
% opatch apply
Invoking OPatch 10.2.0.3.0
ApplySession applying interim patch ‘4516865’ to
ApplySession failed: ApplySession failed to
prepare the system.
ApplySession: Required component(s)
[ oracle.rdbms.rsf, 10.2.0.1.0, higher version
10.2.0.3.0 found. ] not present in the Oracle
Home or a higher version found.
System intact, OPatch will not attempt to restore the system
OPatch failed with error code 73
Since the existing changePerm.sh version was newer (September 2006), I just executed the script in $ORACLE_HOME/install.
% cd $ORACLE_HOME/install
Disclaimer: The purpose of this script is to relax permissions on some of the files in the database Oracle Home so that all clients can access them. Please note that Oracle Corporation recommends using the most restrictive file permissions as possible for your given implementation. Running this script should be done only after considering all security ramifications.
-n Do you wish to continue (y/n) [n]:
Finished running the script successfully
Please see /tmp/changePerm_err.log for errors and /tmp/changePerm.log for the log of events
That modified the permissions and solved the problem. The developer is now able to execute SQL*Plus.
While installing Oracle 10.2.0.3 on another database server and closely reading the Patch Set Notes, Post-Installation Tasks Section 7.3 explains the possible need to run the changePerm.sh script. I seemed to have missed that in a previous install.